Saturday 17 June 2017

Style Arc Stella Coat No 2

Sewing has taken a bit of a back seat because my College has had Ofsted  in, and for those of you in the UK you will know how traumatic that is.  9 days of stress!   On-top of  the terrible events in Manchester and London, and the results of the election it has been quite a month.




I finished my second style arc Stella Coat a few weeks ago, but have just got behind on my blogging.






After a very sensible camel cashmere version in January, I wanted to make a summery linen version.  Is this too crazy?  It definitely is a bit of sunshine and the linen fabric is quite a good choice.  This is a viscose linen, so all of the look, without all of the crumple.  I don't think it is still available.






I cut a size 12, reducing the shoulders by 5/8" and raising the waist by 1".  I wanted a jacket rather than a coat so I took around18" from the length.  This gave me a little problem with the pocket bags which dropped below the hem length.  I ended up solving this by chain tacking the bags up.





 

I just interfaced the collar lapels, and perhaps used a slightly too firm an interfacing in contrast to the rest of the jacket.  I probably would give the whole jacket a lighter interfacing if I was to make it again.



All the seams are top-stitched, though it doesn't show up much on this busy fabric.






I really like the little stand up collar and it is quite easy to achieve, so long as you get it level.  I added a couple of shoulder cigarettes (2 rolled up oblongs 9" x 7") to add a bit more structure without the more substantial structure you get from shoulder pads.







I like this pattern a lot, but this instructions are extremely minimal (even worse than Burda) so definitely not good for beginners.   The jacket is fully lined, this time in a champagne lining.




Just a heads up, this is the last time you will see long hair having a bad day for a while.  I have had it all chopped off.  The funny thing is that now I have short hair, I am completely rethinking my wardrobe.  The 50s fitted vibe seems less appropriate and actually the dress I was wearing when I had my hair cut which is Vogue Rachel Comey seems much more apt!  Anyway  the time I save on washing and drying my hair will mean more time for sewing!











8 comments:

  1. Wow! Your hair looks amazing! Enjoy thinking about new styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janet, my pattern queue might be going to change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lurk reader... Had to comment....your hair cut is gorgeous!
    As is the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you genuinely really appreciate you making the effort!

      Delete
  4. You look absolutely fabulous !! This hairstyle takes years off you, you look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a kind comment.

      Delete
  5. Also a lazy commenter/lurker here -- I too love seeing all your projects and love the new do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! You coat is gorgeous, I love the fabric

    ReplyDelete