Sunday 18 March 2018

SewMyStyle The Kalle dress

I wasn't sure about the Kalle dress.  You may know I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with baggy dresses, mostly they drown me, so when the Kalle came out I gave it a wide birth, but I thought as it was this month's Sew My Style (#SewMyStyle2018)  I would give it a try, and I'm glad I did.


 
This is fabric from my stash.  I'm can't remember what it is something like a peachskin or cupro and I think it is perfect for the Kalle, which I think needs something drapey but with , weight.  I love it for this dress including the colour.  The only downside is that it doesn't press and thus wasn't easy to manage particularly with the placket.  By the way I did get a little confused by the instructions relating to the placket and I used the sewalong for additional help.  One thing I did find was how crucial it is to get real accuracy with your strips of interfacing and your folds.



One of the things I am going to need if I wear it with tights is a shorter slip!  It's peeking in the photo above.  I cut the size 10, a 36.5" bust sizing (I'm 37.5" bust).  I then graded down at the waist/hips by 1/4" at each seam, so a total of 1" .  I think the ease is pretty generous.




I used the box pleat because I think it hangs better.  The only real change I made was to reduce the difference between the front and back hem lengths and also to reduce the side split, I didn't want to flash too much thigh.  I also didn't notice that the hem facing was for the cropped shirt and so having drafted and cut one, I thought I would use it any way.    I'm it w not sure yet whether I will wear loose  or chicken out and add a belt.    Either way I like it, glad to have had a go and I've already bought some cupro for the next one.





4 comments:

  1. great dress - love the 'hang of it' - the colour and fabric are perfect - well wear

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear how much you like this pattern! I love Heather's patterns but am not sold that this baggy style is right for me like you initially thought too. Perhaps I should give it a whirl! It looks wonderful on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, I think you could rock it, I think it needs some fabric with weight to sort of pull down some of the bulk. Don't know if that makes sense!

      Delete
  3. I have a love/hate relationship with shirt dresses: I love the idea but it has never worked for me. Your fabric is lovely Mags, both the colour and the drape and looks much better with a belt.

    ReplyDelete