This is my third version of the ever popular McCalls 6696, and it is certainly the best fit. My choice of fabric is nothing new, Roisin has made a sleeveless version and Gertie's shirtwaister in her first book used the red version of this fabric. The fabric is Liberty Carline and before you think I have spent a fortune on this dress, this fabric was one of my bargains from Standfast and Barracks in Lancaster who sell Liberty seconds. This cost £6 per metre and I used just under 2 metres .... a bargain.
So to the fit. I love this pattern because it has different cup sizes and I went for the C. My last 2 versions I cut a 14 at the bust and graded to a 12 at the waist, but this time I just cut a 12 in the bust too. I took 5/8" from each shoulder for my narrow shoulders and raised the waist by 1" overall and then by 3/8" extra at the front centre (because I noticed that the waist appears to droop a little on me).
The pattern illustrations do not show a back view of the dress and I think that is probably because the models have the problem of "poofy" backs. I took a whole 2" out of the centre gathers. Even so there is still a bit of "poof" and what I think I need to do is to also take 3/8" from the back centre line (like the front).
Not much more to say about this one, except I must try the straight-skirt version some time! I'm sure this won't be my last.
I had the most lovely Saturday when I met up with Ruth from CoreCouture and we had a lovely shop in Minerva. I really enjoyed watching Ruth shop, she has such an eye for combining patterns and colours and I ended up totally copying her with the berry coloured fabrics below. This whole haul cost £45 which will make 2 skirts, 2 tops and one pair of trousers. I think I am usually a bit of a fabric snob, but Minerva does have some lovely fabric at really low prices.