The fact that I can write this title feels like some real progression in my sewing achievement, because it represents being able to imagine a garment and then alter patterns to achieve it, and this is pretty much what I imagined.
I wanted a soft-floaty blouse made of swiss dot fabric.
I used McCall's M6649 as the basic pattern. This is a great pattern for me (if you ignore the dated envelope illustrations) because it has different cup sizes and means that a fba isn't needed. I cut a size 14 C cup. I took my usual 1" from the length to raise the waist line and 6/8" from the width at the shoulders.
I cut the side and back panels (shortened to the right length) from the alder dress pattern and use the blouse cut-outs on the blouse fronts and back.
I'm really pleased with how it has turned out, and the fit is pretty much what I wanted. I did realise about half-way through that I had gone to a lot of trouble to create a look which is rather like the Bruyere! I think the flat front panel, and the extra gathers work well though.
I'm particularly proud of the finish on the inside. Because the fabric is somewhat transparent I French seemed everywhere and this generally went really well, even the sleeves.
The only mistake I made was in the French seaming of the inset panels at the corner. Somehow I think I didn't do the snip at the corner correctly and, as you can see below, there is a pull, which is annoying but I can live with it.
Pretty good continuation of the dot through the yoke! (Sorry do I sound like I'm bragging, but hey I am pretty proud of this one!). I think I should have used silk organza rather than iron-on interfacing which has made the yokes rather too "white", something for another time.
This is actually my second 6649 (forgot to blog the first one). My first was made in Liberty fabric as a bit of an experiment. Before you start thinking I can afford to use liberty to experiment, this was £5 a metre from Standfast and Barracks. I'm not sure about the result, I love the fabric but it is probably a bit busy for a garment for me (and hence not worn yet).
I had imagined the swiss-dot blouse worn with the Stonecutter jumper, the contrast between a delicate blouse and rustic sweater.
I haven't knitted the sweater yet, though I've bought the pattern (think it might take some time to knit!)
I have knitted a cardigan though! This is the Kelly cardigan, knitted from Erika Knight's Classc Knits. I first came across this cardigan when I was admiring Anne's cardigan worn in the first series of the Great British Sewing Bee. Anne used up different ends of wool to create her stripes. I wanted a lazy way to get stripes and I already had this wool in my stash. It's Drops Kid-Silk (a mohair and silk mixture). I've already waxed lyrical about Drops wool, it is fantastic value. It's on offer at £3 a ball at the moment and I used 7 balls for this (though it might have squeezed out of £6 without the use of two colours). I used colour 24 petrol for the bands and 25 sea-green for the body. You knit the whole thing with two strands of wool, which makes it really cosy, though trying to maintain clean stripes requires some thought.
This is a great basic cardigan pattern and a good beginner's knit. Looking at the photos I do need to work on the fit of my knits. I should have reduced the length a bit and narrowed the shoulders!
Otherwise I'm enjoying a few days off this half-term and having a good sew (of course!). The weather is pretty grotty, though I had one lovely walk with Dan and all the dogs! Monty is growing.
Rosie and Tess are pretty scruffy at the moment and don't be fooled by this "we are really good dogs" trick, they are expecting a treat! Hope you enjoyed the long weekend.