Monday 27 April 2015

Butterick 5982, a bit of Great British Sewing Bee Inspiration for Spring for Cotton challenge


#springforcotton
 

With the sun shining beautifully last week, I felt the need to make a summery dress and at the last minute I also wanted to enter Lucille's Spring for Cotton challenge.  Ever since the first episode of The Great British Sewing Bee series 3 I had been lusting after Lorna's poppy dress (couldn't get a better picture than this).



I tracked down the fabric on Ebay (just entered poppy fabric in the search).


 
 
I chose Butterick 5982 version C (centre), which has a bit of a vintage 50's influence.  It's taken me two years to finally understand that most patterns are made for a B cup (I have to ask why, is this the commonest cup size?).  So I am looking now for patterns which come in different cup sizes, and this pattern comes in A-D sizes.   This made fitting the bust much easier without the hassle of a full-bust adjustment.
 
 Image result for butterick 5982

I love the skirt, it's full but not too bulky which is a more flattering style.


I've photographed it on the inside so that you can get a better view.  There is a flat panel at the centre front and the back, then two pleats followed by fairly heavy gathering round the front to the back pleats.

 
 
I have to say though, there is a bit of a Marilyn effect in the wind!
 
 
I like it with or without a belt (and pearls of course!)




The pattern called for a bodice lining, but I felt for summer this wouldn't really enhance the style or wearability, so I drafted a facing.  I had 2.11 metres of fabric and there wasn't enough for a self-facing so I used some black cotton.  Also not enough fabric for any attempt at pattern matching or placing.


The 'v' worked reasonably well and I top-stitched around the neck rather than understitching.





I cut a size 14 and the fit is pretty good, but needed small adjustments:

Added 3" to the length
Shortened the bodice by 1"
Increased the seam allowance on the zip by 1" at the waist
Moved the shoulder seams lower  by 5/8" and then lowered the arm scythe by 1/2"

The sleeves feel a little tight and I would put a bit more fabric in them and lower the arm scythe by 5/8" next time and I think there will be a next time.  I think this is a very versatile vintage-style dress which I hope to perfect.    The Spring for Cotton challenge finishes on April 30th so I was against the clock!  I cut out the pattern and dress on Friday night, did about 2 hours on Saturday and finished on Sunday, so for me a really quick make!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful dres, and I like that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachael. Lovely to hear from you. I think the dress would look kind of cute in your flamingo fabric which I adored in your suit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sensational with the pearls and black belt. I've said it before but you're really good at matching the right fabric to the right pattern. The nice weather (although it's vanished - it's freezing here today!) always makes me want to have a bash at a very, very simple summery top, in a nice floaty floral. Nothing fancy, just something easy that I can wear with jeans or cropped trousers. I'll have to be brave and have a go.

    I've really enjoyed my catch up here Mags, I love seeing what you've been making. Hope you're having a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillian, lovely to hear from you and your kind comments, particularly appreciated when you have so much on! Do have a go at a top, it's a real buzz making something you can wear, great fun! The trick is to get the right pattern and fabric to give you the best chance of success. Tana lawn is a good choice and not to expensive on ebay! Have a great week. Xxx

      Delete
  4. I had an orgasm when I saw these pics

    ReplyDelete