Sunday 30 November 2014

oh la la, bruyere love!


 
 
 


I really liked many of the Bruyeres I saw on the internet, especially Tilly's  and Sally's fabulous bicycle version.   I didn't know if it was the right shape for me, but I thought I would have a go and I'm afraid pretty much copied Tilly's!  The fabric is Robert Kaufman dot chambray (yes, more Robert Kaufman chambray, and I've already bought this fabric in maroon dot for a shirtwaister!). 

 I got the fabric from M is for Make and can I just say the service was fabulous, as I made a mistake with the amount I bought and they sorted it out so quickly.

The pattern is a Deer and Doe and comes from France.  I found the instructions generally good though I got a bit stuck at the sleeve placket and had to use the photos from the sew-a-long (the text was French!) to help.



Anyway, I have to say I love it.  I think the fit is probably the best I've ever found.  It's really fitted without being tight.  I usually take an inch our of the bodice length because I have a high waist, but I noticed that it looked quite high on other people, so decided to leave it as it was and I think it's just right.  If you don't have a high waist you may want to lengthen it. 

 
The only change I made was to narrow the shoulders by 5/8" which is a common alteration for me, otherwise I think the fit is perfect.  The other thing I love is how neat you can make the inside!  It's becoming a bit of an obsession.

 
I used French seams everywhere except the arm-sythes (must learn how to French seam the sleeves as well).

 
 The only bit I struggled with was the cuffs, this was tricky and my actual cuff has ended up not quite square.


I'll be making more of these!  Perhaps a Liberty print.

I've also been crocheting and finished the first section of my blanket (a bit of doggy photobombing!)

 

I think haircuts are long overdue!  One Saturday a month I go to Unique Image in Ulverston for my Saturday sewing workshop and this Saturday it was also the Dickensian festival, a sort of surreal day when people dress in Victorian costume (and obviously as a cracker!), so we had a fantastic view from our window, checking out the costumes whilst sewing (A coat - more to come later).  I've so many projects on at the moment; crochet blanket, crochet scarf, in the middle of a coat, a skater dress to hem, 3 jumpers to block and make up, Francoise dress and shirt waister dress cut out and ready to sew!  How on earth did I let this happen!  What are you making at the moment?

7 comments:

  1. Very nice, the fit looks great on you! I really want to get my hands on some of that chambray, it's popping up all over the place and always looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so much. Its really is great fabric. I wished I'd snapped up some of the olive too, but that seems to have sold now.

      Delete
  2. That is one nice shirt. Very chic, very elegant, and such a flattering fit. You're really good and picking fabrics that suit both you and the pattern. That's a great skill to have, I reckon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian, fraid this one was a bit of a copy! But I certainly liked how it worked out! xx

      Delete
  3. This looks so beautiful! I love this blouse, such a lovely shape. I regards the french seaming of the armholes, Jen at Grainline did a great tutorial that might help. You'll find it here http://grainlinestudio.com/2014/04/28/french-all-your-seams/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I've booked marked the tutorial, and when I make my next one I will definitely be brave and have a go.

      Delete
  4. That is lovely! Its such a great pattern smart and casual at the same time, I have it in my stash but have jet to find the right fabric, yours is perfect!

    ReplyDelete